Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Disenchanted Workforce

"I just do what the bosses tell me to do. I don't care and I don't want to think."

This is the outburst I got from a colleague of mine when asked about something she is doing. I wanted to know because I'm supplying her some of the information and wanted to make sure I'm delivering the right stuff. It's quite sad really, because she's held in high regard by her superiors. How did the management alienate her then?

The sad truth is, when you are a reliable workhorse (that's what I label her as), you tend to get a lot of unwarranted work dropped on you. I think that's why her superiors love her so much. She just works and works without complaints. She's hardworking and steadfast, that's something I admire. But everyone has their limit I guess. Her work has become mundane and tedious.

She still works hard, but the spirit is just not there anymore. I always think that we must take our own initiative to learn even from the most mundane stuff we do. But it's a lot easier said than done. I can empathise.

The traditional perception of working for money may not hold anymore (hmm, I need not have said that, that's already like gospel truth nowadays :P). More and more people are seeking careers that is not only rewarding financially, but rewarding in terms of satisfaction, learning/knowledge obtained, mental stimulation, et cetera.

What do you look for in a job?

"I want adventure in the big wide somewhere" Belle, Beauty & the Beast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home