Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Being Streetsmart

I was walking around near my college. Those who know me know that I do this a lot, walking around when nothing is going well with my revision or work or paper or project or whatever. Anyway, I was observing this lady, in her 20s in a smart business suit stopping people and also walked into the Guardian store, seemingly asking for directions. Then she tried stopping a cab near the traffic light of a cross junction.

Silly lady I thought. So I walked over, and told her that cabs won't stop there and told her to further up the road, at the LRT station for cabs.

She walked there, looking lost and aimless. So I went up to her and ask her if she is really lost. She was looking for Jalan Perak apparently, but the taxi driver dropped her off at Jalan Tun Perak. Poor thing. So I told her I'm not sure where Jalan Perak is, but I know the genaral direction should be the Bukit Bintang/Golden Triangle area, not this old part of the city. She told me she is a foreigner, Singaporean to be precise. And after asking if she would be alright (she assured me she would, she is used to depending on cabs in KL), I left her there.

I went back to the college, and while checking my email, it struck me to Google Jalan Perak. I was right, it is in the Golden Triangle, near Jalan Pinang, Wisma UOA, Wisma Hong Leong, et al. So I rushed back to the spot to tell her so, easier to take LRT to KLCC and take a cab from there. She wasn't there anymore. I hope she got to her destination safe and sound.

Anyway, the point of this post is to higlight the errors she made :

1. Don't look lost and amble along. Look confident, as if with a purpose even when lost. She was fidgeting with her phone.
2. Don't tell strangers you are a foreigner. I need not know that to help you get the right direction
3. Call the place you are going to for help. I suggested that to her.
4. If possible, be sure of where you are going ie. landmarks before embarking on the journey.

Anything else to add?

So to stranger Singaporean lady I met just now, take care and be streetsmart(as if she would read this :P). KL ain't like Singapore.

5 Comments:

At April 12, 2005 6:10 pm, Blogger iblogme said...

5. Be cautious when a stranger approaches you. *grins*

 
At April 12, 2005 11:49 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

iblogme : oh yeah that too :P She was cautious but I think she figured what could little college kid do anyway, hehe.

i had a good day, somehow. i saw a man talking to a lady, and she was decidedly uncomfortable, waiting to cross the road. i walked up to her, and said hi and started chatting like we knew each other. we crossed the road, and she thanked me. apparently, she didn't know the man (unkempt, and looked well, as if up to no good) and was afraid.

 
At April 13, 2005 10:00 am, Blogger chasyss said...

Don't get off the cab until double-checking you're at the right place? Show the cab driver the address on a piece of paper?

 
At April 13, 2005 10:38 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

chasyss : i think the taxi driver thought the place is correct

 
At April 14, 2005 8:29 pm, Blogger Hito! said...

6. Plan before you do something e.g :- look at the map/ or ask around where exactly the place is (or nearby) with any road mark :)

what you said make sense ;p keep it up .. human will always lost when we have no one trustable beside us :>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home