Thursday, October 28, 2004

Violence Is A Vicious Cycle

Even with Thaksin's apology, I doubt there will be a fast solution to the crisis in Southern Thailand. What's disturbing is why did the armed forces pile humans who are alive but maybe injured into trucks over each other. Did they think it was a circus for acrobatic acts? Did they check if they had injuries or were on substances? Couldn't they have treated the detainees with simple respect as human beings? Couldn't they have made return trips with the trucks while the troops stand guard with the remaining detainees? It is understandable if they died of gunshots, because the soldiers did fire. But death in custody is very, very questionable. I'm not pointing fingers, but at first glance I think the Thai government has mishandled this issue and has created a PR disaster for themselves.

More importantly, they have created more antagonism in that already disenchanted region.

And now one of the separatist groups is threatening to bring the fight to Bangkok.

Enough is enough. But if they do strike in Bangkok, it would be striking to close to home (those who know me real well would know why :P). I pray that it won't happen. And I pray that there will be no more loss of lives. 'sigh' The idealist in me needs to be suppressed.

2 Comments:

At October 29, 2004 12:17 pm, Blogger mediha_m said...

In my eyes, Thailand has always been a land of soft-spoken, delicate and gracious people...

It just tears me up inside when I see what's happening in it now..

 
At October 29, 2004 2:50 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

Yup its disheartening.
Hope everything will be fine. Lets pray.

As for me, I hope my 'darling' will be alright. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home