Monday, May 16, 2005

End of An Era

I read in the papers this morning that Globe Silk Store may close. Apparently 60 employees have been told that they need not turn up for work.

I remember that when I was young, my mother used to take me shopping there. Being cost conscious and not well heeled, it was the place to shop if we had wanted anything of decent quality at an affordable price. In fact, the whole area, stretching from the area called Batu Road, right up to the end of the road near the Merdeka Square was a shopping area catering to city folks. Many many years ago, there were plenty of supermarkets and departmental stores along the road.

The road looks different now. The area where Hankyu Jaya and Batu Road Supermarket were, and Chow Kit's market is, has less Malaysian patrons. Further down the road, Globe's area is still vibrant, and people still throng the area for bargains. Mostly for shoes, textile and clothes. GS Gill is still there. The older establisments selling winter clothing are still there, but for how long I do not know as they face intense competition from cheaper shops in shopping malls. There is Sogo there and the infamous Pertama and Campbell, at the back there is the forgotten Wilayah Complex. Coliseum is still showing movies and the Coliseum Cafe now has a halal menu. Behind the street, there is the Masjid India area and more shops.

I haven't been exploring the area for a long while. Dropping by Sogo does not count for it has always been a quick jaunt to get stuff (they have a good bakery downstairs).

We are moving with times. I look back and remember the past, and am grateful for the lessons that I'm being reminded of. So Globe Silk Store may be closing but I will remember.

Maybe I will go explore the area soon.

2 Comments:

At May 17, 2005 4:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you - you have no idea how much that means to the family of Globe.

 
At May 30, 2005 12:50 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

anon : you are most welcome. care to explain a bit more?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home