Thursday, December 30, 2004

Awake and Not Calm

"Don't send clothes. Send more body bags" was apparently the text message sent by the Malaysian Red Crescent Society (MRCS) relief team in Acheh to their co-ordinator in KL. The death toll may rise above 100,000. As I read more and more, I'm not sure if I can hold it anymore. I'm not sure if I can sleep tonight. I'm not sure what I am doing here, slogging at work when humanity is crying for help. I feel helpless.

I can't stand people saying this is a reminder of the sins we have commited. I can't comprehend how people can think this is retribution of any kind or a message to humankind. I guess it's normal for them to need reasons for something to happen. Hogwash.

It's not the time to ponder too much, but it's time to act.

1 Comments:

At December 31, 2004 5:46 pm, Blogger Saffron said...

Heard a survivor said she would rather have died alongside her family yesterday. Am not sure how I would react if I was put in her shoes. Wish I had more money to give. :(

Looks like we're off to a bleak start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home