Monday, November 08, 2004

Intellectual Snob

Intellectual snob. Yup, that is what someone labels me as. She didn’t do it in a malicious way. She was just trying to put a label to my behaviour in social settings. It is a fact. I have no time for small talk, or meaningless parties and I have no qualms about it. I can carry myself well, when there is need. And I can let my hair down when I feel like it. Thank you very much, I am not as socially inept as one may think.

I think I am known for being particularly discriminating when it comes to whom I choose to hangout with. I don’t have a wide social circle but I think quality counts, a lot more.

It is normal to want to interact with people on the same wavelength. I also tend to veer towards people that I can discuss issues in a logical and sensible manner, who offers fascinating insights and who can understand what I say and vice versa. Some form of common ground usually helps, but not a necessity.

Language used to be an issue. Now it isn’t anymore as I find myself communicating and making good friends with people not exactly fluent in English. Some people also use to insinuate that you need a certain level of IQ to be friends with me. Not true. Intelligence has nothing to do with one’s academic ability or how much you know. In fact I find some of these wannabe intellectuals really annoying. Be yourself, for goodness sake. Style with no substance, your cover will be blown soon enough. Like I said, I prefer to interact with people with sense and sensibilities. And a good of sense of humour is well appreciated. Someone that’s comfortable with whom they are.

But at the end of the day, what matters most is how genuine and sincere the person is. This quality tend to overshadow the rest, such as intelligence and language. My favourite person at the moment is exactly like that, honest and genuine, no hidden agenda. So are most of my friends.

6 Comments:

At November 09, 2004 9:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

intellectual snob? aren't we all, in a way? hahaha...you'd go very well with idlethink.com and yourmotheryourfatherandme.blogspot.com :) good luck for your paper 3 by the way.

Jen
http://superficial.eternise.org

 
At November 09, 2004 10:22 am, Blogger Applegal said...

I don't know why people are so quick to label others as snobs, or whether there is a need to do so. But yes, it's just a "title", no need to get upset about it :) Cheers!

 
At November 09, 2004 2:43 pm, Blogger mediha_m said...

True true... labels are hardly ever nice, and are never fair.

I was once labelled an "intellectual snob" too. I found it very odd and terribly amusing.

I agree with you, buddy. No one would ever want to hang-out ONLY with pseudo-intellectuals who quote dead philosophist in every conversation :)

Loyalty and a sense of humour are always key factors in a good, strong friendship.

 
At November 09, 2004 10:19 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

Jen : Not necessarily so :) and oh, I think idlethink.com is a fabulous blog. Too bad it is inactive now. You know, your blog is great too.

All the best to you too in the coming exams. 'sigh' Back to the library soon.

Applegal : Not upset at all. :) Found it amusing.

maverix : hmm, does it happens to debaters more often? I get "you are intimidating" a lot even though I think I'm quiet and polite.

Yup yup. Just like how we are :) Cheers!

 
At November 12, 2004 8:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm like that! Honest and genuine, no hidden agenda. We should get on just fine ;)

JustMe

 
At November 13, 2004 8:21 pm, Blogger Resurrected said...

JustMe : yes, yes I'm sure we would :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home